May 8, 2009

D.C.'s Hottest Bartenders -- Shymagazine.com -- April 2009


How would it feel to have the hottest bartender in D.C. make you a drink? You could surely find out by heading over to the third level of The Park at Fourteenth to seek out Matty and Yones behind the bar.


The two, with much talent and now many admirers, were just announced the winners of On Tap Magazine’s Hottest Bartender Competition, each garnering over 2,000 votes. Not ones to take things at just face value, we found out a little more about these hotties.

For someone who considers herself a tomboy, winning the title of hottest bartender really hasn’t even hit Matty yet. “It’s kind of ironic that I won this contest because I don’t even see myself like that,” she said. The Dominican/Peruvian beauty is a D.C. native and is currently a full-time student. Working on a double major in Psychology and Criminal Justice at Marymount University and an Associates in Marketing at NOVA keeps Matty busy, but you won’t find her alseep behind the bar.

Born and raised in Izmir, Turkey, Yones came to America in 2001 on a Fulbright Scholarship to the University of Illinois, acquiring a degree in International Politics. After that, the almighty internship brought Yones to the metro area. After realizing politics really wasn’t his thing, he got his second degree in Personal Training. He now services the D.C. metro area as a personal trainer. He got his start spending summers behind the bar at his uncle’s beach clubs back in Turkey.

What do you like about bartending?

Matty: The loud music, the people…just seeing people have fun. It’s an intense yet fun atmosphere. It’s such an exciting job. Everyday is going to be different.

Do you have any crazy bartending stories?

Yones: I have lots! Which one should I say? [Laughs]. Tip-wise, I had these two ladies. Basically, they had a $25 tab and but completed it as $600. I turned to them and said, “Miss, you put an extra zero by mistake.” They weren’t intoxicated, but they came to the bar a little buzzed, so after a couple of drinks, I thought they were mistaken. But she was like, “No, no, no. That’s your tip.”

What’s the best drink you make?

Yones: I make pretty good French Martinis. I make good Berry Blossoms, which is actually a signature drink at The Park.

Matty: I’ve been told my Patron Margaritas are really good.

Since you’re in the clubs, you probably hear the same songs all the time. Are there any songs that still get you hyped?

Yones: There are a bunch of them. The latest one that has been banging right now is “Turn My Swag On” by Soulja Boy. I like it. It has a good beat. Before that, we had “Put On” with Young Jeezy and the remix with Jay-Z.

Where do you like to go for fun?

Matty: Everywhere SHY is, I pretty much am.