May 13, 2008

David Evangelista Salon at Cornelia Day Resort -- BeautyNewsNYC.com -- April 2008

David Evangelista Salon at Cornelia Day Resort

Posted By Jan F. Lee

When I was younger, I rarely went to the salon to get my hair cut. Every several months or so, on a Saturday afternoon, I would head to my personal hairstylist/cousin’s apartment. She’d cut my hair, we’d talk, we’d laugh, her Yorkshire Terrier Toto (as in the Wizard of Oz) would bark uncontrollably at nothing and we’d laugh some more. I never thought I’d get a comparable feeling at a salon.

At the David Evangelista Salon at Cornelia Day Resort, I can say that I did. Stylist Patrick Ferrara gave me a fabulous haircut, made me laugh and I felt as though I was at a friend’s Soho loft, albeit it is overlooking 5th Avenue.

David Evangelista, an Emmy-nominated hairstylist, who contributes to CBS’s The Early Show and has worked for Frederic Fekkai and John Barrett, aimed to avoid “the intimidation factor” when designing the look of the salon. David felt that in these “monster salons” clients were shuffled around and felt lost. “ the client will feel like they’ve been taken care of, which is why the salons motto is “Style, Substance and Service,” said David.


It was uncanny how comfortable the intimate atmosphere, warm décor and friendly salon staff made me feel. There was not a scowl in sight! The fluorescent lighting was offset by soft table lamps at the communal station areas and the flood of sun light—great for seeing hair color in natural light noted Patrick—shining through the large windows. Then Beyoncé came on and I couldn’t help but bob my head!


The Salon opened last November. The collaboration between Evangelista and Cornelia is the first time a renowned hair stylist and a beauty expert joined forces to offer its clientele head-to-toe pampering in one prominent destination. Do you realize what that means? Even if you only visit the salon, you have access to the enchantingdare I say itlocker room, which looks more like a spa in itself, and other facilities, such as the Relaxation Library and the lovely rooftop garden.

As I got my hair washed, sitting in an Italian leather massage chair, I was offered a beverage and cookies. (Note: after 4pm, they offer champagne.) And If that isn’t enough, you can order food from the gourmet café upstairs during your services.


Before the cut, Patrick took note of my face shape and inquired about my daily hair routine and regular maintenance to better assess what cut would be best for me. He concluded that I should keep my length, but that we should “open me up” and add some layers, especially to the front.

Because I have naturally curly hair, but am currently wearing it blown-out, Patrick suggested that he straighten my hair with a wet/dry flat iron—a flat iron you can use on wet hair comprised with vents that help seal the cuticles and not burn the hair. The only product Patrick used on my hair was a little dab of Phyto 7 to finish. I couldn’t believe it. My hair looked healthy, shiny and had movement, which was exactly what the goal was.

Mission accomplished, minus Toto!

For more information, check out http://www.cornelia.com/.

Article printed from BeautyNewsNYC: http://www.beautynewsnyc.com/