(Click on title to go to actual story at VibeVixen.com.)
June 27, 2007
Vixens love to be pampered. But if you’re short on money and time, here are a few tips to get salon-style nails at home:
- Soak hands in warm water. Then, use a nailbrush to get the dirt out from under your nails and a nail pusher to rid nail beds of excess tissue. Using sharp objects will damage the skin area where your nail meets.
- Do not cut cuticles. Instead, the nail pros at Creative Nail Design suggest pushing back cuticles with a metal or wooden nail pusher, otherwise the cuticle would become thick. Only cut hangnails.
- Apply polish remover before doing your nails even when not removing old polish. It removes any grease allowing your polish to last longer. Choosing a remover that is non-acetone or has built in moisturizers, like SpaRitual’s Conditioning Lacquer Remover, to help limit damaging nails.
- Always use a base coat and a top coat to ensure your that polish lasts. Applying a top coat every couple of days will ensure polish stays on even longer.
- It's inevitable that you'll wind up with some polish on the skin around your nails. Use a wooden nail stick or Q-tip to swipe away the excess.
Here are the Vixen polish picks for summer!
Creative Nail Design Nail Enamel in Bed of Roses ($6; creativenaildesign.com
Dashing Diva Nail Colour in Anna Banana ($8; dashingdiva.com)
Pure Color Nail Lacquer in Fuchsia ($18; esteelauder.com)
Orly Nail Lacquer in Plum Noir ($7; orlybeauty.com)
OPI Nail Lacquer in Red Hot Ayers Rock ($8; opi.com)
June 27, 2007
Mani/pedi season is in full swing! But in order to get fly fingers and toes you shouldn’t put your health at risk.
Before your next trip to the nail salon, follow these tips to make sure your pampering experience is safe and clean.
Skip a day Don’t shave your legs for at least 24 hours prior to your nail appointment because microscopic cuts or tears in the skin will put you at risk of infection from bacteria, fungi and viruses transmitted by unclean tools if the instruments or foot basins aren’t clean.
Read the fine print Celebrity manicurist Bernadette Thompson says, “You can’t just assume that the people doing your nails know what they are doing, because they all don’t.” Make sure that the salon has a state license from the Board of Cosmetology and that your nail technician is licensed by the state Bureau of Barbering and Cosmetology. Look for the licenses posted on the wall or at individual stations.
Come prepared Thompson also suggests making sure your salon sterilizes their instruments, but bringing your own nail tool kit to the salon eliminates the worry. Be sure to clean tools between each salon visit. A couple of kit essentials are toe and fingernail clippers, an orange stick, files and a cute carrying pouch. If you need help gathering the right things, just ask your manicurist what you should bring. Enter to win your own nail kit from Creative Nail Design.
Don’t Make the Cut Opt for the pumice stone, foot file or exfoliating scrub to remove calluses instead of the credo blade (or foot razor), which is illegal in some states. This reduces the risk of cutting off too much skin and permanent damage as a result.
May 10, 2007
Wish your erotic accessories were as stylish as your fashion accents? Enter — oh, so sensually — Booty Parlor.
This bootylicious boutique of erogenous essentials includes everything a woman needs for a boudoir ball, including beauty products, lacy lingerie, designer toys and customized Love Kits. It’s no wonder Aisha Tyler, Jessica Alba and LisaRaye are all Booty Parlor enthusiasts.
Summer is fast approaching and a sexy body is a must for rocking a risqué mono-kini or an ultra mini. Luckily, Booty Parlor came up with Flirty Little Secret — a firming cream with pheromones! Attracting the opposite sex has never been so easy.
Wheat protein acts as a firming agent, a collagen booster creates the appearance of smooth skin, and a targeted enhancer, will firm and tone the bust. Use it all over the body to turn those bikini not-so-ready areas into curves you can’t wait to show off. But the real magic lies in the pheromone Androstenol, which inspires flirtation and enhances romantic feelings. Get ready to attract honeys like bees to…well, honey as you walk along the beach or boardwalk.
Booty Parlor products are available online at bootyparlor.com, drugstore.com and victoriassecret.com.